Dr. Gitumoni Sharma is a vitreoretinal and cataract surgeon with an experience of 18 years as an ophthalmologist having worked internationally and nationally over several states. She is the first lady practicing vitreoretinal surgery in northeastern India. She is a medical graduate of Assam Medical college, Dibrugarh. Had completed post-graduation in ophthalmology from Sri Sankaradeva Nethralaya, Guwahati from where she had also completed 2 years of residency and thereafter fellowship in general ophthalmology and cataract. Thereafter, she completed a fellowship in clinical research (Apollo hospitals) and in surgical vitreoretinal from Retina Institute of Karnataka under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore. She has expertise in diagnosing and treating all eye conditions. She is a regular speaker in many ophthalmological society conferences of which she is also a life- member. She had presented 75 papers till recently of which 10 were gold medal winning papers. Besides, she is also an MBA in hospital and health-care management. She is also a NABH assessor and was a quality coordinator. Recently, she is a title holder of a few beauty contests. Also has received Global woman inspiration award 21 and India excellence Award 21 for most dedicated ophthalmologist and Retinal Surgeon in Assam.
Professional Experience: – 21 years of Experience
- Present Consultant Vitreoretinal and ROP and Uvea in ASG Eye care, Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati. August 2019 till date
- 2014 – 2019 Vitreoretinal and Uvea consultant, MGM Eye Institute, Raipur
- 2012 – 2013 Vitreoretinal fellowship (Retina Institute of Karnataka, Bangalore under Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore)
- 2007 – 2011 Consultant ophthalmologist (Anterior segment &Medical Retina), Dr.Agarwal’s Eye Hospital Ltd. Chennai, Hosur and Yelahanka)
- 2006 – 2007 Fellow- General Ophthalmology and Cataract: Sri Sankaradeva Nethralaya, Guwahati, Assam.
- 2005 – 2006 Faculty, Dept. Of Ophthalmology, College of Medical Sciences, Bharatpur, Nepal.
- 4000 + Retinal Surgeries (Vitrectomy + Buckle)
- 5000 + Retinal Injections
- 15000 + Diabetic Retinopathy Screening
- 15000 + Retinal Lasers
- 200 + ROP Screening
- Diagnosis and treatment of all ocular diseases
- 500+ Ocular Trauma Repair
- 2000 + Cataract Surgeries
- 200 + Others