About DR. SATYEN DEKA
Dr Satyen Deka is a renowned eye surgeon of Northeast India having vast experience of giving quality eye care to thousands of patients for more than two decades. Nationally acclaimed Retina surgeon Dr Deka is pioneer in sutureless vitreo-retinal surgery and ROP screening/treatment in Northeast India. Performed thousands of complex vitreo-retinal surgeries and having huge experience of modern Phaco emulsification cataract surgery. Special interest in Ocular Oncology, Uvea & Neurophthalmology. Also involved in numbers of ophthalmic research and served as training faculty for more than 20years.
MS in Ophthalmology from Assam Medical College in 1996, became a Diplomate of the National Board (DNB) in 2004.General Ophthalmology fellowship at Sri Sankar deva Nethralaya, Guwahati (1997). Completed Vitreoretinal & Research fellowship from Sankar Nethralaya, Chennai (1998-2000). Received training in Vitreoretinal Diseases & Cataract at Moorefield’s Eye Hospital, London, England (2004). Training in ORBIS International ophthalmology program (2013). Successfully participated in, “ICH-GCP WORKSHOP on CLINICAL RESEARCH” (2014). Training at John Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA, Wilmer eye hospital, Retina Div. in Jan-Feb 2016 and Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, USA on Ocular Oncology in Feb 2016
- Senior consultant & In charge Retina service at ASG Eye Hospital, Guwahati, India since February 2017
- Sixteen years’ experience as teaching faculty & Ophthalmic Surgeon in the tertiary eye care center of North-East India & Center of Excellence, Sri Sankaradeva Nethralaya at Guwahati (2000-2016).
- Academic Coordinator at Sri Sankaradeva Nethralaya, Guwahati, India.
- Teaching faculty of DNB (Ophthalmology) and ophthalmic Fellowship course.
- Dedicated vitreoretinal service.
- DNB (Ophthalmology) Examiner & Fellowship exit examiner.
- Founder consultant of Lions Eye Hospital, Jorhat, Assam (1997-1998)
- HOD Ophthalmology dept at GLOCAL HOSPITAL, WB (2016-2017)
- Received prestigious Young Investigator Merit Award in Clinical Ophthalmology at SERI-ARVO Meeting held at Singapore 6th –9th February 2003.
- Received BEST VIDEO AWARD in International Conference on Diabetic Retinal Diseases On Guwahati on 4th-5th march 2006. Received 3 times BEST VIDEO AWARD in State Ophthalmic Conference (AAOC) in 2005, 2007 and 2008.BEST VIDEO AWARD (DR S C DAS AWARD) in 27th EIZOC conference at Guwahati in 2013.
- Chairman Scientific committee, EIZOC (East India Zonal Ophthalmic Congress) 2015-2018
- Governing Council executive member of Vitreo retinal Society India (VRSI)
- Chairman, Scientific Committee, State Ophthalmological Society of Assam since 2009-2015.
- State (Assam) representative of LDP-All India Ophthalmological Society for consecutive 2 years 2008 and 2009
- Organized National conference (VRSI 2012) as the Chief Organizing Secretary in Dec 2012 at Guwahati.
- International Conference On Diabetic Retinal Diseases in Guwahati on 4th-5th march 2006 as the Organizing Secretary.
- Conference Coordinator of EYETRENDZ 2006-SEA CRUISE, International Ophthalmic Conference-May 7th – 11th
- Advisor, organizing committee 7th annual conference of USI in Dec, 2007.
- Conference coordinator, Organizing committee in upcoming AIOC 2016 at Kolkata
- Chairman Scientific Committee, Ocular Trauma Society of India OTSI 2015 9th annual conference
- Editor, OSA newsletter 2009 to 2015.
- Scientific committee chairman SAARC Summit Nalbari 2015
- Scientific Committee member, LOC, AIOC 2016
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS:
Several publications/ articles in various journals, text books etc, including peer reviewed journal like IJO, RETINA, and JCRS. Conducted several national scientific sessions and delivered numbers of guest faculty talks, symposium lectures, and instruction courses in national, zonal and state conferences. More than 200 presentations in different International, national, zonal, and state conferences.
- Author of chapter titled, “Retinal Phakomatosis” for the book AIOS READY RECONER.
- Article published titled “ ROP Screening” in Newsletter of State Ophthalmic Society, Assam 2009
- Review article titled, “Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP) Screening – Practical aspects” published in OSA Newsletter vol. 11; Oct 2011.
- Review article titled, “Update on vitreoretina surgery”, published in Ophthalmology update 2018
- No patch 23 gauge vitrectomy under topical anesthesia – A pilot study
Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol 59, No 2 , Page143-145, March-April 2011
Deka S, Bhattacharjee H, Barman MJ, Kalita K, Singh SK.
- Toxic vitreitis outbreak following intravitreal injection
RETINA, Mar; 31(3):631; 2011
- Verteporfin photodynamic therapy of retinal capillary hemangioblastoma in von Hippel-Lindau disease
Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 2010 Jan-Feb; 58(1): 73–75.
H Bhattacharjee, H Deka, Satyen Deka, M J Barman, M Mazumdar, J Medhi
- Suprachoroidal Silicone Oil-A case report
Oman J Ophthalmol 2010; 3:43
Deka S, Bhattacharjee H.
- Neuro & intraocular cysticercosis: A clinicopathological case report
Eye & Brain. Published Date March 2010, Volume 2010:2
D Das, Satyen Deka, S Islam, N Deuri, P Deka, A C Deka, H Deka, S K Buragohain, H Bhattacharjee
- Rebound effect following intravitreal bevacizumab in branch retinal vein occlusion”
Oman J Ophthalmol 2009; 2:94-5
Deka S, Kalita K, Singh SK.
- Management of posteriorly dislocated endocapsular tension ring and intraocular lens complex
J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006 May;32(5):887-9.
Deka S, Deka A, Bhattacharjee H.
- Management of a posteriorly dislocated endocapsular tension ring and a foldable acrylic intraocular lens.
Journal of cataract and refractive surgery. 2004; 30(1):243-6.
Harsha Bhattacharjee, Kasturi Bhattacharjee, Dipankar Das, Prakash Kumar Jain, Debdulal Chakraborty, Satyen Deka
- Anterior Chamber Maintainer vs. Viscoelastic Material
J Cataract Refract Surg. 2002 Mar;28(3):385
- Central retinal vein occlusion due to herpes zoster as the initial presenting sign in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2001 Jun;9(2):125-30.
Biswas J, Deka S, Padmaja S, Madhavan HN, Kumarasamy N, Solomon S.
- Visual improvement following laser therapy in macular edema of branch retinal vein occlusion.
Published by Monduzzi Editors SPA, in the proceedings of 14th world congress of international society for laser surgery & medicine, 2001, pages 113-117
- Peripheral Retina, Pars Plana and Vitreous Base
Text book by Jaypee brothers medical Publisher “Modern Ophthalmology, Vol:1 page: 1496-1510”
Harsha Bhattacharjee, Satyen Deka, Jnanankar Medhi